Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

my persistent plant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
popeye View Drop Down

Quote popeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my persistent plant
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:25pm
Hi

I have come onto this forum in the hope that one of you knowledgeable people can be of help. For about six years I have had a clematis (I think it has the word 'Emperor' in the name - large purple double flowers). Every year it begins to grow just fine...then, immediately after it flowers, the leaves display all the characteristics of Clematis wilt, and it looks as if it is dying. I cut out all the affected stems (as I have been advised to do) but it doesn't seem to cure the problem. However, next spring, back she comes, good as gold, until the flowers.

I do, however, get new growth halfway through summer, and even another batch of single flowers. I have tried lightening the soil with lots of organic material, watering exactly when I'm told...still the same. The plant seems reluctant to spread too far. At present there is no plant covering the stem....would that be a problem? It is against a brick wall in a sheltered spot facing approximately south east...it gets plenty of sunshine and shade in summer in equal measure.

I have persevered with this plant because I am an eternal optimist that it will come up with the goods...can anyone help?
Never argue with an idiot. They will grind you down and then beat you with experience
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:56am
It do mostly sounds it's Clematis Stem Wilt, hard late winter pruning are a helpfull remedy as the fungi overwinter in old infected wood, you will loose the first double flowers, but as long you feed it when pruning (NPK) the first flowers will be  only slightly delayed.
Suggest you drench/water the lower stem and ground with a Trichoderma product.

popeye View Drop Down

Quote popeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:25pm
Thanks! Will give it a try :)
Never argue with an idiot. They will grind you down and then beat you with experience
 Post Reply Post Reply