Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BCS Journal 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BCS Journal 2014
    Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:41pm
Hi Everyone, I am more or less ready to start on the BCS Journal for this year. If anyone would like to consider contributing an article for inclusion in this issue, you would be most welcome indeed and I would be very grateful.
Technical articles are fine, and very welcome, too - but just as important, or, even, best of all, are articles dealing with everyday gardeners' experiences of plants in their gardens etc; no expertise required, some of the best and most enjoyable articles are penned by ordinary everyday gardeners!
Any clematis-related topic is fine, and if you are not confident about writing or grammar/language etc, don't worry, I will edit, smooth and splice and graft where needed - I am more than happy to assist with all such aspects - I will also add Latin names etc so no need to worry about any technical issues whatsoever. I will also deal with all photos and process them to readiness for publication, and also do the article layout etc for you, if you wish. All photos are acknowledged in the text. We like to include items from as many places in the world as possible, since people's experiences in different Countries are always varied and very interesting (sometimes even when talking about the same plants).

There is a lot of clematis knowledge on this site and many people with considerable experience - it would be really interesting to have your input and hear your thoughts; some super articles have been written for us this way over the years and I am very grateful. A short article is fine at about 3-400 words, anything longer is really good, longer still qualifies as 'just wonderful thank you so much'. Items by email, WORD doc attachment on email, typed and sent by post, hand-written - we don't mind! Photos can be virtually any image format (images as large as possible please) and I am happy to receive correspondence, questions, text files and images at bcollingwood@ntlworld.com whenever you wish.

Remember, you DO NOT have to be an 'expert' to contribute, at all, but since there is a lot of experience and expertise here, it would be nice to get some emails from among you! And to those here who have already indicated that they will contribute this year, 'thank you very much' once again. At this point in time, just an email to me expressing interest is fine, whenever possible. It just gives me a better idea of what people are thinking and helps with planning.

I will come back to this thread in due course, if anything relevant crops up. Until then, prospective publication date will be November 25th and I will be aiming for around 35 articles, FINAL cut-off date for submission of material for inclusion will be September 15th; any items are very welcome any time from now.

We've had lots of people write an article for the first time, in our Journal, some people think it is hard but there are lots of things to choose to write about;

How did you get started in clematis? Experiences with clematis you have grown in your garden. Plants I particularly love. My garden and clematis over the years. How I get clematis to establish well, in my garden. My clematis collection. My clematis memories. Stories of Clematis love and inspiration. My all-time favourite clematis Book: Which book stands out and why? What this book taught/meant to me. How important are photos? Clematis personalities from the past - & pictures. My Life with Clematis. My favourite clematis. History of clematis. History of clematis breeding. My breeding programme. Propagation Cuttings, grafts, raising from seed, hybridising, layering experiences/methods/thoughts/tips etc. Clematis and DNA. Interesting species clematis I have raised. My ‘wish list’ and why. Photographing clematis. Herbaceous clematis. Clematis encountered abroad or on holiday. New introductions and recent introductions that I have tried in the garden. Native clematis - your area. How I got interested/started with clematis. My favourite group of clematis. Why I joined the BCS/IClS. Striped clematis. My favourite Red clematis/white clematis/blue clematis etc. Botanic articles and so forth - and a million other topics!

So, go on, give it some thought, there's no rush as yet; and see your name in print in our Journal, in the fullness of time. Anything I can help with or answer, just email me! Thanks for reading.

Edited by bcollingwood - 08 Apr 2014 at 11:54pm
B. R. Collingwood

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:20am

BCS Journal 2014 Tentative Contents layout.

Dear BCS Members and Friends,

The Journal is nearing completion.

We have the Society business, followed by 35 varied articles, followed by New Clematis Registered Report, IClS Report, Trials Report, In Memoriam for Bernard Allen, plus advertisements. I have now finalised most of the articles/material and the contents pages order. The front cover is complete. I have spoken with the publisher and am aiming to drive over and deliver the files by the end of October or possibly a week or more before/possibly a week after. The initial committed printing slot is November 25th but I hope I can bring this forward, depending on when I can finish the last few final items and put it all together.
You still have time to join the BCS and receive this new Journal, this year!
http://www.britishclematis.org.uk/index.htm

Contents

Section 1: Your Society

From your Editor………………………………...Brian Collingwood
Who Does What in the BCS "014……………...…….Committee
From your Chairman……………………….……….Charne Griffiths
Financial Summary………………………………....Peter Hargreaves
Minutes of the 24th AGM………….……….…….........Committee
BCS Indoor Meet October 2013 – Report…………………….Editor

Section 2: Clematis Year/Historical/Overseas/General Culture

BCS Winter Garden Visit – Waterperry Gardens.…..Bernard Allen

BCS Autumn Visit to Great Dixter……....…...…Val & Simon Nicoll

Around the Garden 2014…..……………………..Richard Munday

A Clematis Garden Through the Year…….Dr Elayne Coakes

Tunbridge Wells in Bloom………….…….……………Edward Gilbert

Lyte’s Herbal of 1578……………………………………Everett Leeds

Visiting Silver Star Vinery USA…………………………...Roy Nunn

Clematis Native to Pescia, Italy…..…...…....……..Massimo Mazzoni

Pruning Montana Plants……...……....Valerie Le May Neville-Parry

Referendum On Pruning the Wemyss Montanas….Charlotte Wemyss

Vigorous Natives and Thoughts on Their Pruning…Dr John Feltwell

Daily Telegraph Offer…………………………………Everett Leeds

Reflections from our Nursery…………………………...Linda Clarke

Section 3: Propagation/Hybridisation/Scientific

Flower Variation in Atragene Seedlings………………..Saori Cretin

Hybrids of Clematis tibetana ‘Black Tibet’……………Aidan Armitage

More New Large-Flowered Hybrids, Yes or No?…..….Ton Hannink

Germination to 1st Flowers for 1st Time Raisers.B. Collingwood

Old Friends, Where Are You Now?.……...………Kalani Seymour

Watching them Grow: Seedling Form in Clematis…....Daniel Falck

Section 4: Cultivars, Species, Groups

New Heracleifolia Cultivar ‘Chris’ – Update…Val Le May Neville-Parry

Clematis ‘Advent Bells’………………………………. Aidan Armitage

Clematis afoliata…...………...……………………..Maureen Hudson

Clematis napaulensis………………………………Aidan Armitage

3 variants of Clematis patens of Shinshiro...Mariko Nakanishi

The Other Face of Fire: Clematis baldwinii……......Fran Palmeri

Plants of the C. repens persuasion………….Brian Collingwood

Encountering the Viorna Gp on my Botanizing Travels.Peter Zale

Around the National Viticella Collection 2014….....Richard Hodson

A Couple of Clematis Viticella Problems Solved?...Charlie Pridham

Section 5: New Clematis Registrations/Trials Ground/IClS

New Clematis Registrations July 2013-June 2014..Duncan Donald

New BCS International Trials Grounds……….....Keith Shortland

The Int. Clematis Society – 2014 Report.............Ken Woolfenden

Section 6: In Memoriam

Some Thoughts About Bernard Allen…,,……Various Contributors

A Message of Thanks…………………………….Rosemarie Allen

Acknowledgements & Advertisements

Brian Collingwood BCS Journal Editor/Facebook page

B. R. Collingwood

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 9:22am
Journal 2014 will be printed and bound during 12th-15th November and mailed out to all Members 17th November.
B. R. Collingwood

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 2:35pm
Published today.
B. R. Collingwood

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 12:57pm
Well, the Journal seems to have got round Europe, and further afield, quite quickly this time; I hope you enjoy the articles and images. I would like to thank those who allowed me to use images and/or wrote for me this year; if anyone wants to write an article, large or small (all equally welcome) for next year's edition, please just let me know and I will be straight in touch. Also I should like to wish everyone all the best for a very merry Xmas and a happy and healthy New Year.
B. R. Collingwood
 Post Reply Post Reply