Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Spirit - Help Please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DaveB View Drop Down

Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Spirit - Help Please!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:37pm
My polish spirit is doing  a fine job of climbing up a pergola, covered in buds and very happy from about 4 foot upwards.

However, for the second year running the leaves are dying from from the ground upwards. They go yellow and then dry to a crisp.

2011 was quite dry so I was constantly watering - a year on the same problem but clearly not a case of too little water!

Can someone help with this problem please?

Many thanks
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 9:07am
the plant simple run out of nutrient and then recycle the nutrient from the  "spent" lower  leaves, regular liquid feed or use a slow release like Osmocote should fix the problem on that cultivar (some cultivars just get it whatever you do)Plant a perennial to cover base!

DaveB View Drop Down

Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm
Many thanks for your reply.

I have been using Vitax Q4 pellets, but I will also give it a soluble feed as you suggest.

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:39am
Originally posted by DaveB

I have been using Vitax Q4 pellets, but I will also give it a soluble feed as you suggest.

If you use this fert. as recomended for Tomatoes every 3 Weeks or use a 1/3 of recomended once a week, I think it would work fine.
(pleased to see they use nutrient based NPK on the label [Ireland] as well as the common used [UK] Oxide)
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Hello

I am not convinced that C. Polish Spirit loosing its leaves lower down is a neutrient problem. I think it is more likely associated with a natural occurance, in that if the plant is receiving enough light onto its upper leaves, its lower leaves are to some extent receiving less light, they become of no use to the plant so energy is not given to keep them alive. I have noticed that some clematis, especially if they are in full sun will flower from ground level to the top of the plant, two examples of this are C. Blue Angel and C. Etoile Violette (there are many others). My C. Polish Spirit is grown through a shrub, consequently the lower leaves are not seen. There are also many Clematis that I consider are more oriented to flower at the top third of the plant, these are best grown through a shrub, or use a suitable perennial to hide the bare base of the clematis. One known top flowerer is C. Ville de Lyon, again there are many others in this catagory.

If upper leaves are also showing signs of distress, this is likely to indicate the possibility of a lack of neutrients, usually as my garden is mulched twice a year and given Blood Fish and Bone meal in the spring and Bone meal in the Autumn I find I do not generally need to feed my Clematis through the year, this wet year being an exception as the high level of rainfall is washing away the feed. In these cercumstances it is best to use a granular feed, or slow release fertiliser, as plants have already received more than their fare share of water in the form of incessant rain. Obviously in years of normal rainfall I would top up neutients with a liquid feed if necessary. I use Chempac 8 at this time of year.

Roy

I hope this is if some help.
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:29am

Originally posted by Nunn00123

Hello

I am not convinced that

Polish Spirit is one of the few there can retain it's leaves, the photosynthesis still work with reduced light, but as the top need more nutrient for growth and food supply is a bit low, plants will recycle the nutrient from the leaves (if you make a leaf nutrient test you will see the very large difference between a dead dry leaf and a green active)
As you may soon see is plants with Autumn colours, those come from nutrient deficiency in the leaves (the plant recycle nutrient)  yellow = potassium deficiency;  cyan/purple from phosphate deficiency and red /orange from a mixture of the two.

Cheers Peer

Grazielle View Drop Down

Quote Grazielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 12:42pm
I am having hard time with taking care of plants,though I am very eager to have a bunch of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply