Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Planting clematis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
valmapp View Drop Down

Quote valmapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planting clematis
    Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 5:40pm
Hi

I am new to this forum as I love clematis although some I plant suffer from the dreaded wilt. I planted a Perl d'Azure in a fairly large pot to climb up my pergola last year but it suffered wilt. I cut off one affected stem to leave the remaining one but that suffered to at the bottom although the flowers are fine at the top of it and it has grown over the other side of the pergola. I planted it deep 4" below the surface as advised but wonder if pots are a problem? My Mrs Cholmondely planted in the ground is fine. Now planting "Rebecca". I wonder if a largish pot will be ok or would be better planted in the ground! . I have read the useful info on planting on this site but still confused! As I read it, it states to place more compost at the base after you have filled the hole with earth and compost. Any tips gratefully received including what kind of compost to buy to mix with my clay soil . Sorry if this has been brought up before. As plants are getting so expensive I don't want to lose another one.
Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply